Meet Dr. Jeffrey Marcus - Skin Cancer Surgeon
Dr. Marcus was born in New York City and was raised in a small town in New Jersey. He obtained his primary undergraduate degree at Dartmouth College in Hanover, New Hampshire and an additional degree in biology from the University of California in San Diego. Subsequently, he earned a Masters in Public Health from Columbia University. Dr. Marcus then attended medical school in Chicago at the Northwestern University Medical School where he also performed his Internship in Internal Medicine at the Northwestern Memorial Hospital. He then pursued his residency in Dermatology at the UCLA Medical Center where he had the opportunity to train in all aspects of Dermatology and Dermatologic Surgery. He subsequently completed his training with a fellowship in Mohs Surgery at Columbia-Presbyterian Medical Center. Dr. Marcus considers himself very fortunate to have been educated and trained at some of the finest institutions throughout the United States. At the culmination of this training, Dr. Marcus moved to Boca Raton in 1995 to establish a practice completely devoted to Mohs Surgery and Reconstruction.
Dr. Marcus has board certification by the American Board of Dermatology. He is a Fellow of the American Academy of Dermatology, the American College of Mohs Surgery and the American Society for Dermatologic Surgery. He is also a member of several other professional societies and has served as President of the Palm Beach County Society for Dermatology and Dermatologic Surgery.
Dr. Marcus has authored eight peer-reviewed journal articles. He is the recipient of the Young Investigator Award sponsored by the American Society for Dermatologic Surgery and The Journal of Dermatologic Surgery and Oncology.
Dr. Marcus has always been actively involved in teaching surgery to medical students and residents. During his fellowship year, Dr. Marcus received the Teacher of the Year Award for excellence in the teaching of Dermatologic Surgery at Columbia-Presbyterian Medical Center in New York. Upon moving to Florida, Dr. Marcus began teaching surgery to the residents at the University of Miami, Miller School of Medicine. More recently, he has been actively involved in teaching surgery to medical students at Florida Atlantic University, Charles E. Schmidt College of Medicine.
When Dr. Marcus is not at work, he maintains a very active lifestyle. Having been a competitive and ranked tennis player, he was a member of his college tennis team. Dr. Marcus is also a long distance runner and has completed multiple marathons and half-marathons. His greatest joy is spending time with his wife and children.
National Board of Medical Examiners, 1991
- Marcus J, Horan DB, Robinson JK. Tissue expansion: Past, present and future. J Am Acad Dermatol 1990;23:813-25. (CME article)
- Marcus J, Camisa C. Podophyllin therapy for condyloma acuminatum. Int J Derm 1990;29:693-8.
- Marcus J, Grossman ME, Yunakov MJ, Rappaport F. Disseminated candidiasis, Candida arthritis, and unilateral skin lesions. J Am Acad Dermatol 1992;26:295-7.
- Marcus J, Esterly NB, Bauer BS. Tissue expansion in a patient with extensive nevus comedonicus. Ann Plast Surg 1992;29:362-6.
- Marcus J, Lask GP. Photodynamic therapy. Cancer Bull 1993;45:261-9.
- Marcus J, Glassberg E, Dimino-Emme L, et al. Photodynamic therapy for the treatment of squamous cell carcinoma using benzoporphyrin derivative. J Dermatol Surg Oncol 1994;20:375-82. (ASDS/JDS&O Young Investigator Award Paper – First Place)
- Goldberg DJ, Marcus J. The use of the frequency doubled Q-switched Nd:YAG laser in the treatment of cutaneous vascular lesions. J Dermatol Surg 1995-submitted.
- Marcus J, Goldberg DJ. Lasers in Dermatology: A Nursing Perspective. Derm Nursing 1996;8:181-93
- Marcus J. Innovative techniques in cutaneous surgery and oncology: Photodynamic therapy and tissue expansion. UCLA Dermatology Grand Rounds, February 2, 1993.
- Marcus J, Glassberg E, Moy RL, Lask GP. Photodynamic therapy: Applications in cutaneous oncologic surgery. 20th Annual Meeting of the American Society for Dermatologic Surgery, Charleston, South Carolina, March 24-28, 1993.
- Marcus J, Cohen BH, Glassberg E, Moy RL. Reduction in skin tension intraoperatively with the suture tension adjustment reel versus undermining: A quantitative comparison. 20th Annual Meeting of the American Society for Dermatologic Surgery, Charleston, South Carolina, March 24-28, 1993.
- Marcus J, Glassberg E, Dimino-Emme L, Yamamoto R, Moy RL, Lask GP. Photodynamic therapy for squamous cell carcinoma. University of California-Advanced Seminars in Dermatology, August, 1993.
- Marcus J, Glassberg E, Dimino-Emme L, Yamamoto R, Moy RL, Lask GP. Photodynamic therapy for the treatment of squamous cell carcinoma using benzoporphyrin derivative. 21st Annual Meeting of the American Society for Dermatologic Surgery, San Diego, California, May 11-15, 1994.
- Marcus J, Walczyk JS, Rabinowitz AD, Eliezri YD. Perineural cuffing of granular cell tumors: incidence, pathogenesis, and implications for mohs micrographic surgery. 27th Annual Meeting of the American College of Mohs Micrographic Surgery and Cutaneous Oncology, Hilton Head, South Carolina, May 15-17, 1995.
Teacher of the Year Award (1994-1995), Columbia-Presbyterian Medical Center, Department of Dermatology
Young Investigator Award-First Place (1994), American Society of Dermatologic Surgery and The Journal of Dermatologic Surgery and Oncology
Medical School Honors Coursework (1986-90): 1) Clinical Dermatology; 2) Research in Dermatology; 3) Plastic Surgery; 4) Senior Internal Medicine (Subinternship); 5) Ambulatory Medicine; 6) Junior Internal Medicine; 7) Psychiatry; 8) Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation; 9) Community Medicine
Vice President of Task Forces, American Medical Students Association (1987-88)
Chairman, Freshman Preceptorship Program, Northwestern University Medical School (1986-87)
Vice President, Student Government, Columbia University School of Public Health (1985-86)
Tucker Honorary Society For Community Service (1985)
Dartmouth College Holben Award For The Outstanding Student In Applied Sociology (1985)
Provost’s List, University of California, San Diego (1984-85)
President, Student Health Advisory Committee (1983-84)
Elected Representative, Undergraduate and Class Council (1981-82)
Captain, Tennis Team (1980-81)
President, National Honor Society (1980-81)
American Medical Association
Florida Medical Association
Palm Beach County Medical Association
American Academy of Dermatology
American Society for Dermatologic Surgery
Palm Beach County Dermatologic Society
American Society for Laser Medicine and Surgery
American College of Mohs Surgery